Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April 20, 2011

My friend Kyla went home to be with the Lord. Although this has been extremely difficult and heart wrenching I wouldn't trade the last five months I had as her friend for anything. I guess the cancer bonded us after our first meeting at the infusion center. I was having my last treatment and she was in the chair next to me. She had been listening in to my conversation with Lita and Aleena who were keeping me company. At some point she admitted to eavesdropping and we immediately included her and her and I became fast friends. Cancer is an unpopular equalizer. It happens to men and women, young and old, rich and poor.  Her husband Joey recently said to me that he wished we would have met under different circumstances, but the fact is without cancer we probably would have never met. We lived in different cities, she was younger, her children were younger, nothing that would have put us in the same circle, but God saw fit for our paths to cross, and how blessed I have been from that intersection. Kyla came to Christ through her cancer. She said that she felt like God was just calling her name and she responded. We were able to have a few conversations about her new faith and she had great faith. Paul's words in Philippians about the peace that passes all understanding was abundant in her life. She said she was in a win win situation. If she lived a while longer she would win and if she went to be with Jesus she would win. She inspired me by her positive attitude, her openness and honesty, and the way she let me into her life. Thank you Kyla for allowing me to be your friend if only for a while, I love you and I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment